[slime-devel] Re: Feature request

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Wed Jan 14 20:03:06 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Ignas Mikalajunas <i.mikalajunas at mbt.lt> writes:
>
> >    As we can see there are lot's of fake bug reports associated with
> > using incompatible slime.el version. I think there should be some way to
> > put a function into swank like (equired-slime-version) so slime.el could
> > check whether it is up to date on connect and recompile itself or at
> > least warn the user.
>
> I've been pondering this too. The best I've come up with is to
> complain very loudly if slime.elc is older than slime.el.
>
> Possibly `M-x slime' could even check if slime.el[c] has changed since
> it was last loaded and reload on demand? That is a bit DWIM, but
> perhaps justifiably so given our CVS-oriented distribution.
>
> As for cross-checking the versions of slime.el and swank.lisp, that
> would be nice so long as we can think of a fully automated scheme.

Is there a protocol version number in the messages exchanged between
emacs and lisp? (I've learned the hard way--i.e. over and over again
until it's finally sunk in--that you *always* end up needing version
numbers in protocols.) Of course just having it isn't sufficient--you
then need a way to make sure the numbers get bumped at appropriate
times. But it is necessary.

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com