[slime-devel] Re: Feature request

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jan 15 19:15:34 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> I've been pondering this too. The best I've come up with is to
> complain very loudly if slime.elc is older than slime.el.
>
> Possibly `M-x slime' could even check if slime.el[c] has changed since
> it was last loaded and reload on demand? That is a bit DWIM, but
> perhaps justifiably so given our CVS-oriented distribution.
>
> As for cross-checking the versions of slime.el and swank.lisp, that
> would be nice so long as we can think of a fully automated scheme.

I added a check for this.  The date of the newest entry from the
ChangeLog is stored in the compiled versions of swank.lisp and
slime.el and compared at runtime.  If slime.el is interpreted, it
reads the date from the current ChangeLog file.  The Lisp side for
this is in swank.lisp.  It would be better if it where in the last
file in the compilation order, but I haven't found a good way to
achieve that.  Let's see how this works.