[slime-devel] Re: Good and bad things about SLIME

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Thu Dec 18 22:17:31 UTC 2003

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Ignas Mikalajunas <i.mikalajunas at mbt.lt> writes:
>
> > The bad things:
> > (windows)
> >   Could not break ACL with C-c C-c or C-c C-b, nothing helped so the
> > only way to exit an infinite loop is to restart ACL :(
>
> We send a SIGINT to the Lisp process to interrupt it.  This will
> probably not work on Windows.  My knowledge about Windows is pretty
> limited and I have no idea what the proper way to interrupt another
> process is.  If you can fix this problem, please send as a patch and
> we will include them.

Just a note: I think this is the first time somebody has run SLIME on
Windows. I'm amazed that it didn't have a bunch of little portability
niggles preventing it from even starting up. Very good!

> How about:
>
> (defun user-init-file ()
>   "Return the name of the user init file or nil."
>   (let ((home (user-homedir-pathname)))
>     (and (probe-file home)
>          (probe-file (format nil
>                              #-mswindows "~A/.swank.lisp"
>                              #+mswindows "~A\_swank.lsp"
>                              (namestring (truename home)))))))

But surely the pathname of a directory can be extended to refer to a
file in a portable way. Anyone know the right way? (Hi Christophe! :-)