[slime-devel] Re: Good and bad things about SLIME

Luke Gorrie lgorrie at common-lisp.net
Fri Dec 19 00:48:48 UTC 2003

Ignas Mikalajunas <voblia at centras.lt> writes:

> Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:
>
> > Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:
> >
> > Just a note: I think this is the first time somebody has run SLIME on
> > Windows. I'm amazed that it didn't have a bunch of little portability
> > niggles preventing it from even starting up. Very good!
> >

>    I thought it was multiplatform ;)

Apparently you thought more or less right :-)

At least now I feel glad about changing "/tmp/" to this monstrosity:

  (cond ((fboundp 'temp-directory) (temp-directory))
         ((boundp 'temporary-file-directory) temporary-file-directory)
         (t "/tmp/"))

after Dan noticed it was a potential Win32-portability problem.

>  yet I am experiencing serious problems with running swank on gentoo by
> using "asdf" ... gentoo puts files compiled by asdf into a temp dir
> something like /usr/lib/common-lisp/cmucl/swank/ yet the sources are in
> /usr/share/common-lisp/source/swank/ , so the swank-loader is trying to
> find it's sources in the same dir the compiled file is ...

Is the Gentoo maintainer someone reading this list? If so, any
comments?