[slime-devel] sending form to *inferior-lisp* or *slime-repl*

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Dec 12 23:38:53 UTC 2003

Nicolas Neuss <Nicolas.Neuss at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de> writes:

> Some questions, though.  I have some longer calculations which give some
> status information during the run.  I had a function which sent an
> S-expression to the *cmulisp* buffer (bringing it up if necessary) and
> which was defined as
[...]
> I have bound this to "C-x M-e" with
> (define-key lisp-mode-map "\C-x\M-e" 'copy-eval-last-sexp)

The most similar Slime probably command is slime-eval-last-expression,
bound to C-x C-e.  The result is inserted in the current buffer, if
you give a prefix argument.  slime-switch-to-output-buffer, C-c C-z,
pops you to the slime-repl buffer.  Do you need something else?

> Question: Is there something similar in Slime or how should I do it in
> Slime?  Should it go to *inferior-lisp* or to *slime-repl*?

There is usually no need to insert the sexp into one of those buffers
(unless you want the see the expression there).  The preferred
interface functions are slime-eval and slime-eval-async.

The *inferior-lisp* Lisp buffer is indented as fallback to debug SLIME
bugs.  You should use *slime-repl* if possible.

> I also noted
> that *inferior-lisp* pops up when information is displayed.  I do not want
> this, actually, so how could I switch that off?

SLIME adds a hook to inferior-lisp-mode-hook.  You could remove this
hook manually.