[slime-devel] sending form to *inferior-lisp* or *slime-repl*

Nicolas Neuss Nicolas.Neuss at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Dec 15 09:34:05 UTC 2003

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Nicolas Neuss <Nicolas.Neuss at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de> writes:
>
> > Some questions, though.  I have some longer calculations which give some
> > status information during the run.  I had a function which sent an
> > S-expression to the *cmulisp* buffer (bringing it up if necessary) and
> > which was defined as
> [...]
> > I have bound this to "C-x M-e" with
> > (define-key lisp-mode-map "\C-x\M-e" 'copy-eval-last-sexp)
>
> The most similar Slime probably command is slime-eval-last-expression,
> bound to C-x C-e.  The result is inserted in the current buffer, if
> you give a prefix argument.  slime-switch-to-output-buffer, C-c C-z,
> pops you to the slime-repl buffer.  Do you need something else?

Yes.  I have calculations which need some time and I want that information
printed during the calculation is shown as soon as possible.

E.g. try

(dotimes (i 10)
  (format t "~a~%" i)
  (sleep 1))

with "C-xC-e".  This will show the result only after everything has
finished.  Inserting (force-output t) gives continuous output and might be
a possible alternative even if it does require to change the application.
But even in that case it does not pop up the *slime-repl* buffer if it is
hidden.

Thanks, Nicolas.