[LispSea] Re: topics for presentation?

Daniel J Pezely djp06 at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 23 04:09:42 UTC 2006

> What do you want to get out of this group?
>
> What would make for a meaningful presentation for you?
>
> What niche or need should be filled?

I suppose it's only fair that I answer my own questions, eh?

I'm looking for an exchange among equals.

	So far, there have been quite a few people interested in getting help
with the fierce learning curve.  I'll post ideas regarding that in a
couple of days.

Personally-- I'm well into the process of becoming reacquainted with
Lisp.  (While my AutoLisp skills helped pay for college back in the late
1980's then using CLtL2-era Common Lisp in 1990-93, a lot changed since
then and so have I.)

What does "exchange among equals" actually mean?

	I'm looking to go deep, sharing practical experiences on things like an
in-memory database system with hot replication to remote servers.

For example, I'd like to add replication to Sven Van Caekenberghe's
Prevalence system.  See http://homepage.mac.com/svc/ and
http://www.cliki.net/CommonLispPrevalence

Yes, there are special mailing lists for that, but sometimes it's nice
to do a show & tell and get others to actually try it before polluting
someone else's source code repository with patches.

	I'm making Lisp my principal language-- professionally-- using it where
I can.  I'd like to share notes with others doing the same.

Yes, SeaFunc is one possible forum for that.

	But perhaps most importantly, I would like a loose-knit group of
individuals using Lisp professionally that might help one another find
and secure jobs.

And yes, maybe joining WSA.org would be best for that.

	Taking all this plus dozens of little intangible reasons and it makes
sense doing all this within a Lisp specific group.

-Daniel