[LispSea] Re: topics for presentation?

Anthony Fairchild anthonyf at blarg.net
Wed Jun 21 15:11:28 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

This might be a good time to introduce myself.  I joined this mailing list a
couple of days ago after seeing the post on c.l.l.  I've been learning
Common Lisp over the past year or so.  I have about 12 years experience
coding with other programming languages, mainly C/C++ and Java.  I
discovered Lisp after learning Ruby and Python.

What do you want to get out of this group?

I would like to meet others more experience than myself, learn as much as I
can about the language.  If I can, I would like to contribute in some way.

What would make for a meaningful presentation for you?

What niche or need should be filled?

- Overview of the popular Common Lisps (SBCL, CLISP, ACL, LW, etc.)  What
are their strengths and weaknesses.
- How to setup Emacs/Lisp from scratch (already mentioned)
- Overview of writing various types of applications including Web, GUI,
games, etc.  Perhaps a separate session for each.
- Debugging tips/tricks
- Tips for writing portable CL

Those are just a few right of the top of my head.  If I can think of others
I'll post them.  I'm looking forward to the first meeting!

Anthony Fairchild