[LispSea] presentation requests

theo nolastname theo492 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 19:17:05 UTC 2006

Hi!

My name is Theo.  I am totally new to actually
programming common lisp.  My interest in lisp was
sparked by reading various peoples' blogs about this
successes with lisp (and various other high-level
programming langauges, usually functional in nature).

I'm not really sure what kind of stuff people are
intersted in presenting, but I don't really know much
right now, and so would be pretty much interested in
anything presented.

1. Some ideas, however, are projects that people are
currently hacking on.  It's always interesting to look
at the actual practical considerations and effects
that lisp adds to a development project.

2. Information about the different lisp
implementations out there.  Shat are the up/down sides
to the various implementations?  Is going with a
commercial implementation worth it in the general
case?

3. Information about the different dialects of lisp.
Advantages of scheme vs. common lisp vs. emacs lisp
vs. arc (whenever it comes out) vs.
what-ever-else-is-out-there.  Right now, I am leaning
somewhat towards common lisp as the first lisp that I
seriously want to start playing around with.  I really
don't know anyone who does active lisp development,
though, so it would be nice to actually talk to
someone and find out some of the trade-offs
language-wise between the various lisps.

4. performance analysis.  How fast is lisp compared to
xxx language?  How easy is it to embed/link c/assembly
functions to lisp code?  What are some techniques for
making lisp run faster?  A short tutorial on some of
the more popular profilers avaliable might be good as
well.

Just some thoughts.  As I said before, I know pretty
much nothing, but I am very eager to learn/participate
as much as I can.

Theo Nordsieck

PS.  I will be going to BCC as a full time student for
the next 3+ quarters.  I might be able to talk to
someone and get us a free meeting area (college
auditorium style, tiered seeting, lots of power,
access to a projector w/ 3 screens).  Not saying that
I will be able to do anything, but there are several
other organizations that use the area.  Is there an
interest in me trying to make something like that
happen?  I know that it's on the eastside, so that
might be an issue for people.