[LispSea] charter

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 02:01:44 UTC 2006

Daniel J Pezely wrote:
> So then, should we simply use the preceding sentence instead of
> the existing words?

My $0.02: frankly, no.  The existing words are fine.  We shouldn't pull
punches about what it takes to get things used by businesses.  Some
techies don't like the words "promotion" and "selling."  But business
people do, and so do business-oriented techies, which is what you need
if you're going to promote anything.

Of course, I am biased.  I do not share Dennis' perspective.  I want to
promote!  I want a paying *JOB* doing Lisp or Scheme or something.  I
gather signatures because I don't know how to make the technical skills
I actually have pay in Seattle, plus I'm not interested in moving just
to solve career problems.  I would never have had the same career
problems over the past 3 years in the SF Bay Area or in NYC.  The Bay
Area is much more interested in alternate languages as a business
practice, not being the backyard of Microsoft.  The NYC Lispers are
exceedingly organized, to the point of championing many Google Summer Of
Code projects and so forth.  In terms of strategic trajectory, I really
hope that Amazon and Google completely clobber Microsoft, and steal all
their interesting employees, so that we have more paying technological
options to consider.  Alternately, if Microsoft R&D could only have a
noticeable effect on the rest of the company....

SeaFunc already does an excellent job of providing academic esoterica,
interspersed with some practical matters.  I value those things, but
what SeaFunc does not do at all, is promote.  I'm not sure it can; I
think the business case for FP "in general" is weak.  It gets stronger
when you commit to a specific toolchain, but SeaFunc doesn't have any
core group of people who use 1 toolchain.

I'm all for embracing different people's wants and needs.  Some people
want to promote.  Some people want to talk shop.  Some people want to
talk academese.  Some people want to contribute to worldwide Lisp
projects.  I'm saying:

(1) having a primary focus is fine.  I'm voting for promotion.
(2) including people who want to do other things is fine.
(3) we shouldn't fear the loss of those who insist the primary focus is
bad.  Having a focus brings benefits that are worth such losses.

My bar for success is "are we as good as NYC Lisp."  That's the metric.
Whatever it takes to get to that metric, I'm in favor of.  Anything less
than that, I say, SeaFunc already did it, or will gradually do it.  Aim
higher.

>     This also means that the group helps individuals raise their
> level of comfort with the tools and indirectly increase the pool
> of potential employees.
>
> (Should we just add that to the charter too?)

I move for less focus on charters, and more on creating biosheets of
specific individuals who want to champion various causes.  Action
counts.  The group is going to be the sum total of its members' actions,
no matter what the Charter says.  Networking counts.  It's one thing if
I'm off on my own tangent.  But what if 3 others share my tangent?

I will put myself down for: Scheme, Chicken Scheme specifically, C FFIs,
performance, free or cheap natively compiled Common Lisp on Windows,
OpenGL, AI, and the game industry.

A final word on list traffic.  I think it's cool to hammer out stuff
online while the group is deciding its direction and preparing for its
first meetings.  But, experience with SeaFunc has shown that, it's
better to have people discuss things face-to-face.  For instance, if
Dennis finds himself unsubscribing, it may be because he gets bored, or
he gets offended, or because Brandon talks too much, or whatever.  These
problems don't happen so much in person.  I bet, in person, I could
probably convince Dennis that his outright distaste for the term
"selling" is misguided, as far as what LispSea needs to achieve.  Or if
not, I'd learn an awful lot about the demographic he represents, and its
likely effect on getting LispSea some legs.  But online discussions, in
contrast, carry a lot of risk of people getting irritated.  That is to
say, when people don't share agendas.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every