[LispSea] charter

Daniel J Pezely djp06 at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 12 22:40:53 UTC 2006

Dennis wrote:
> I do find that I am turned off completely by the definition of "promotion."
> I am not interested in "selling" anything to anybody, especially businesses,
> who have enough trouble with everybody trying to sell them something.  I
> think of promotion in the sense it is used in the charter of non-profit
> organizations that promote science and education in some discipline.

    I'm glad someone brought this up!  I actually lifted the use
of "selling" from another Lisp site (probably cliki.net or
alu.org).

The main thing I want to get away from is the /whining/ often
associated with advocacy or evangelism...

Part of selecting an alternate word was to put it into a business
context: A company is only really interested in things that help
them make more money, so this idea becomes the following.

    Help businesses put Lisp into practice for the sake of
    working more efficiently and effectively.

So then, should we simply use the preceding sentence instead of
the existing words?

    This also means that the group helps individuals raise their
level of comfort with the tools and indirectly increase the pool
of potential employees.

(Should we just add that to the charter too?)

Thanks,
-Daniel