[LispSea] charter

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Mon Jun 12 21:44:03 UTC 2006

I have no problem with the additional statement. I actually prefer it to
most of the charter and would put it first.

I have no strong problem with the first statement of the charter, as
currently updated on the site:  "The purpose of this group is to promote,
nurture & expand Lisp in Seattle. In addition, we contribute to benefit the
Lisp community at large."

I do find that I am turned off completely by the definition of "promotion."
I am not interested in "selling" anything to anybody, especially businesses,
who have enough trouble with everybody trying to sell them something.  I
think of promotion in the sense it is used in the charter of non-profit
organizations that promote science and education in some discipline.

So I just ignore all of the traffic and discussion about selling Lisp.  I am
not interested in that business.  I will follow this list because of the
crossover connection with SeaFunc, but I don't subscribe to this approach to
advocacy of a good thing. If the only discussion is about promotion in the
sense defined in the charter, I will eventually unsubscribe for lack of
interest.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
The Miser Project / Numbering Peano / Orcmid's Lair
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton at acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://miser-theory.info/astraendo/pn http://orcmid.com/blog