[LispSea] charter

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 20:09:27 UTC 2006

Daniel J Pezely wrote:
> Perhaps we should add to the charter, "Contribute to benefit
> the Lisp community at large," as a secondary mission.
>

> Would those of you on this list who have been quiet mind to
> comment?

I'm not the quiet one but I can't help comment.  :-)  I hope this
doesn't scare anyone into not commenting.  Please someone else feel free.

> Do you agree with the proposed minimal charter?
> (i.e., is the above additional clause redundant due to it
> being implied by the very existence of this a group?)

It's not actually redundant.  LispSea needs a strong focus on promoting
Lisp in the Seattle metro area.  So then there's the question of whether
heaping secondary foci on top of that is a good idea or not.  I'm
inclined to say it isn't.  In the limit, if you have a primary focus,
but then invoke Subfocus #2, and Subfocus #3, and Subfocus #4, etc. then
you really don't have a focus anymore.

On the other hand, there's the issue of what you actually get out of
people, and what they find appealing.  Drumbeating on a Primary Focus
doesn't necessarily cause anyone to do it.  Still, an organization's
leadership should probably get focused on the primary task.  I see a
difference between people exercising leadership, people who actively
participate but don't lead, and people who are just showing up to find
out what's going on.

> What are your expectations and desires for a group?

I'd like to pursue a primary focus of promoting Lisp in Seattle.  That's
what I previously tried to do with SeaFunc, although it was for
Functional Programming rather than a specific toolchain.  That proved to
be an Achilles heel.  We did succeed in creating a sustainable group
that slowly grows.  We even got a little bit of networking and job
interest going, in part because there's such a big clump of Amazonians
in SeaFunc and they do some language experimentation.  But energy for
promoting FP as a business model isn't there.

I don't need a local group to work on improving Lisp.  I already do
that, to the extent that Chicken Scheme counts as a Lisp.  Not many
people help me in that task.  The ones that do, I've established
relations on the internet with.  Those would be the primary Chicken
Scheme author, Felix Winkelman, and the primary CMake author, William
Hoffman.  Without that level of commitment and buy-in, I doubt I would
have stuck with it.

There's been interest in Chicken Scheme in SeaFunc, but I'm still the
only one really doing it as far as I know.  I haven't gotten a good dog
and pony show together to convert people yet.  I am reminded of Jeff
Henrickson's current position in SeaFunc as the OCaml "odd man out."
OCaml used to have multiple followers, but I defected for Bigloo Scheme
due to FFIs, and Francois Rouaix lives in Issaquah now.

I think the Gardeners project is an excellent idea in principle.  In
practice, really getting things done requires really specific
partnerships.  People who are capable and commit time and energy.  I
just don't expect to find those locally.  Very few people have the time
and energy to do all that stuff, so it's important to cast a wide net on
the Internet.  The dirty little secret of open source is it's not about
the software, it's about the people.  When I read the Gardeners
announcements, with people proposing various projects, I'm surprised
that anyone responds and takes them seriously.  I'll be even more
surprised if things actually get done.  It seems some things are in fact
getting done, I've been analyzing the track record of Gardeners for
bringing projects to fruition.  It also seems like a lot of projects
won't make it past the "That would be nice!" stage and they're a waste
of time.

I've been trying to do these kinds of business, promotional, and
technical projects for exotic programming languages for 3 years now,
with a strong focus on improving Chicken Scheme in the past 9 months.  I
feel I can say this.

Now, if I got lucky and met someone locally that really was a good
partner for accomplishing X Y Z, that would be cool.  I did go through a
Common Lisp booster phase, but I found that FFIs are all a law unto
themselves, there's nothing Common about them.  So for game development
I was no better off than in the Scheme universe.  Good open source
implementations were available for Windows and not for Common Lisp.
Corman Lisp is inexpensive on Windows, but I wasn't confident in its
future.  Maybe I'd change my tune if the Windows SBCL port shapes up,
but I'm not waiting and I've already committed 9 months to making
Chicken Scheme kick ass.  I bet you SBCL doesn't have a CMake build, for
instance, and I'm not going to write one for them just yet.  Nine months
is a lot of time to try to bang something into shape, and I'm going to
leverage my investment before seeking new investments.

I'm a game developer.  I'm stalking the game industry.  If anyone's
interested in OpenGL stuff on either Scheme or Common Lisp, give me a
holler.  Perhaps Collada file formats is a middle ground.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every