[LispSea] charter

Brian Rice briantrice at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:57:44 UTC 2006

On 6/12/06, Daniel J Pezely <djp06 at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Perhaps we should add to the charter, "Contribute to benefit
> the Lisp community at large," as a secondary mission.
>

> Would those of you on this list who have been quiet mind to
> comment?

Agreed.

> Do you agree with the proposed minimal charter?
> (i.e., is the above additional clause redundant due to it
> being implied by the very existence of this a group?)

No, it's not redundant. User groups exist for a variety of reasons.

> What are your expectations and desires for a group?

A stronger base for business actions would be welcome. I'm
ridiculously busy right now in a startup where I can use whatever
tools I want, but I have severe adaptability constraints and Lisp or
Smalltalk (let alone Slate) only fit in as scripting / glue / domain
languages.

I've started a Lisp-based company before which got nowhere due to IP
and business-related issues. I think that business actions require far
more attention to people than to technology, and I can usually make an
effective case for the right tool when needed. Anything that would
improve that would be welcome but it's the least of my worries.

One other thing that might be effective is involving UW students in
various capacities, Google Summer-of-Code style, by making proposals
for undergrad/grad projects for open source improvement. Even without
SoC sponsorship, academic credit can be attributed. I've considered
doing so for Slate (and been invited to do so) but have not had the
time to focus on it.

--
-Brian T. Rice