[rdnzl-devel] Possible leak with RDNZL 0.11.0/Lispworks 5

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Sun May 20 23:24:47 UTC 2007

On Sun, 20 May 2007 17:35:15 -0500, "Matthew Lamari" <matt.lamari at gmail.com> wrote:

> First off, thanks all for such useful bridging software.

You're welcome... :)

> I converged on this after seeing leaks in my interactions with a
> DLL.
>
> My actual leak seems to occur on cast/unbox.  However, in
> understanding what I may or may not be doing wrong, I present this
> situation:
>
> (loop for i from 0
>       do (rdnzl::invoke (rdnzl::invoke "System.Guid" "NewGuid") "ToString"))

You don't need the double colons - one of them is enough.

> Nothing particularly inherent to Guids, just an example I could find
> that returns a string.
>
> This loop sits there eating up Ram in a situation where I'm guessing
> it shouldn't.  Putting garbage collects in the middle of its
> execution doesn't change this, nor does running GC/clean-down after
> breaking out.  I'm talking about post-collect menory usage
> continously rising.

Are you talking about a "leak" on the Lisp side?  How do you measure
it?  I don't understand how I am supposed to reproduce this.  I just
ran 500,000 iterations of the above and the allocation reported by
(ROOM) is the same before and after the loop.

Cheers,
Edi.