[pro] How to interact with a running lisp instance?

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Fri Dec 17 21:01:57 UTC 2010

Faré <fahree at gmail.com> writes:

> More importantly, we keep matching versions of swank and slime
> in our version control system. If you want to attach to a server,
> make sure you're using the appropriate SLIME. This way we could debug
> years-old production servers using obsolete versions of SWANK,
> if only we had any.

Quicklisp does actually aim to help in this regard. Project archives and
metadata are kept long-term, with the aim of going back to previous sets
of working configurations as needed. That includes swank and
slime. (Of course, there's no guarantee that the old software works with
the new Lisp implementations, and Quicklisp currently doesn't make any
effort to archive e.g. SBCL snapshots...)

The API to take advantage of this long-term stability hasn't been
exposed, yet.

Zach