[pro] How to interact with a running lisp instance?

Eli Naeher enaeher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 21:15:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> More importantly, we keep matching versions of swank and slime
> in our version control system. If you want to attach to a server,
> make sure you're using the appropriate SLIME. This way we could debug
> years-old production servers using obsolete versions of SWANK,
> if only we had any.

We do the same thing.

This seems like the thread in which to ask whether anyone has found a
straightforward way to switch Slime versions without restarting Emacs.
Right now I usually have (under screen) one instance of Emacs for
personal projects (for which I try to use the latest Slime and Swank)
and one for work (where they do not get updated so frequently), and
sometimes I need to start a third instance if I am doing work on an
older maintenance branch of the software. It seems like there should
be a way to switch between Slime versions within the same running
Emacs, but I have yet to figure it out.

--Eli