[pro] How to interact with a running lisp instance?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 20:35:19 UTC 2010

On 17 December 2010 15:21, Daniel Weinreb <dlw at itasoftware.com> wrote:
> (1) Swank is pre-loaded into the server, so if we want to get in and
> look around, we can run Emacs with slime, and tell slime to connect
> over a TCP connection.  As Gail points out, you have to be careful to
> use the version of Slime that corresponds to the version of Swank that
> was pre-loaded.  We do not upgrade very often so that hasn't been a
> problem in practice but you definitely have to do that right.

More importantly, we keep matching versions of swank and slime
in our version control system. If you want to attach to a server,
make sure you're using the appropriate SLIME. This way we could debug
years-old production servers using obsolete versions of SWANK,
if only we had any.

As the Chinese say, 1001 words is worth more than a picture.  — John McCarthy