[parenscript-devel] The next frontier?

Vladimir Sedach vsedach at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 01:11:50 UTC 2010

> Developing with GWT is pretty damn sweet (especially, because they have finally figured out how to do layout properly [2]).

I wonder how they do that. One project I worked on did all the layout
on the server side. If your connection is low latency it is reasonably
fast. Other than doing things impossible with CSS, this approach is
also immune to browser-specific layout bugs. There's no reason doing
your own layout calculations can't be done on the browser.

> But CL as a language is so much better suited than Java for the kind of service-oriented APIs that one implements with GWT. Thus, a combination of ABCL and Parenscript would be a perfect replacement for GWT.

Parenscript, your proposed object sharing system, and a nice way to
interface that with ExtJS (best JS UI library IMO, but a pain to do
anything dynamic with) would do everything that GWT does, in a much
better way.

Vladimir