[parenscript-devel] The next frontier?

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Mon Mar 1 00:07:09 UTC 2010

Sounds good. I always feel a bit weird pushing my vision when I have no time to contribute. I think a few stars are currently aligning to make Common Lisp an intriguing platform:

- The JVM-based ABCL is making tremendous progress.
- Parenscript can be used to write CL-based browser applications.
- Web applications are becoming increasingly viable, Google's Chrome OS will probably plug many of the holes that still exist.

So, in the mid-term future, one might have a JVM-based CL environment that is easy to install and could use Bespin [1] as a cloud-based development environment.

Developing with GWT is pretty damn sweet (especially, because they have finally figured out how to do layout properly [2]). But CL as a language is so much better suited than Java for the kind of service-oriented APIs that one implements with GWT. Thus, a combination of ABCL and Parenscript would be a perfect replacement for GWT.

[1] https://bespin.mozillalabs.com/
[2] http://2ality.blogspot.com/2010/02/next-generation-of-web-application-ui.html

Axel.Rauschmayer at ifi.lmu.de
http://www.pst.ifi.lmu.de/~rauschma/