MKCL 1.1.10 is now available

Jean-Claude Beaudoin jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:49:22 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Jean-Claude,
>
> did MKCL recently change the bundle file type from "fasb" to "fas"?
> ASDF seems to be failing its test-bundle.script now.

No. Nothing has moved in a long time on that front.

> For the record, I never liked the idea of .fasb; but if you make
> incompatible changes, please synchronize with me and other users.

That .fasb business is a legacy of ECL as you know from the history
of asdf-bundle. I will duly inform you if I ever purposely consider some
incompatible change in that area of MKCL.

> Also, it seems to me that si:mkcl-version and
> cl:lisp-implementation-version used to be the same (and/or the former
> didn't exist?), but now latter is more precise whereas the former is
> used for number .so. Is that correct?

Yes, this was the first post-1.1.10 change to MKCL. This change should
only affect git controlled development versions of MKCL.  For released
versions of MKCL the two functions are still identical.  Under git, the
preference is given to the new #'si::git-describe-this-mkcl instead, which
gives a more exact description of the real version of the specific instance
of MKCL.  I thought that change was a good feature, maybe I was wrong.

> Is it OK if I support only the latest version of MKCL?

I don't have any expectations in that area other than that latest ASDF
release should work on latest MKCL master branch head or something
close to this. Seeing ASDF be backward compatible with earlier MKCL
version is surely a nice thing but it is an ASDF initiative.

> Do you have an idea of how many users you have, and whether some
> insist on using old versions of MKCL?

I do not have any counter on the number of MKCL instances in use out there
but I had some surprises in the past in that domain.
And I am not on notice that anyone insist on using any specific old version
of MKCL.

> Finally, test-program.script now fails,

I'll look into it (soon I hope).
Is this ASDF master head on MKCL master head or otherwise?