[Mkcl-devel] porting to android

Jean-Claude Beaudoin jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 09:33:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Attila Lendvai <attila.lendvai at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Great. But I think that I need to clarify this point first. The license
> of
> > MKCL is GNU LGPL v3 as stated in the Copyright file of the MKCL source
> code
> > base directory.  There are a few exceptions to that in the MKCL source
> code
> > but they are for historical reasons and every new piece of work is
> expected
> > to be included under LGPL v3 terms. Therefore, you will have to
> acknowledge
> > your understanding of and agreement with this condition in some formal
> way.
> > (I think an email or a note with a pull request with a mention of it
> should
> > be enough).
>

> i personally reject the whole notion of IP as merely a confused
> justification for the use of violence against peaceful people... but i
> can do the necessary steps:
>
> hereby i acknowledge that any contribution i will provide to the MKCL
> project will fall under MKCL's LGPL v3 licence.

Properly recorded, thanks!  Sorry for that, I don't make the laws, I merely
live under their rule...

> > Done. There is now a wiki page
> > https://github.com/jcbeaudoin/MKCL/wiki/Port-to-Android for you to use.
> > Please try to edit it a bit just to make sure there is no permission
> issues.
>

> i've edited it, it works. thanks!

Good.

> > Last, the FFI is the biggest problem. It involves writing code in
> > assembler with a careful study of the Linux ARM ABI used by Android.
>

> how about libffi? can that solve the problem?

I have looked at it more than once along the years and I don't like the
bloat it has come to be.
So it is not much to my taste. And I expect it will be a major PITA when
time comes to push the
performance of the FFI as much as I want to do it. Also, I am currently
reworking the FFI entirely
anyway. I am not against learning from it though.