[Mkcl-devel] porting to android

Jean-Claude Beaudoin jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 10:26:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:33 AM, Jean-Claude Beaudoin <
jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have looked at it more than once along the years and I don't like the
> bloat it has come to be.
> So it is not much to my taste. And I expect it will be a major PITA when
> time comes to push the
> performance of the FFI as much as I want to do it. Also, I am currently
> reworking the FFI entirely
> anyway. I am not against learning from it though.

I forgot to mention two things. First, the FFI is needed in anything more
than a stub form only if one intends to specifically use its very
services.  It used to be an optional part in ancient times under the name
of "dynamic FFI" and MKCL can be still be a pretty useful piece without it.
It just cannot then call foreign code from the bytecode interpreter, which
is not much of a real drag in most situations.

Second, I am expecting the ARM to be the last architecture with assembler
support in MKCL. I am of the opinion that nothing of interest will come up
in that department for decades to come, but that is just my opinion.
Although that opinion is not out of a lack of knowledge in that area since
I have done significant coding in about 10 different assemblers along the
years. And I am ready to bet pretty heavily on my position here.