[mcclim-devel] Title panes

Rainer Joswig joswig at lisp.de
Mon Oct 5 08:36:44 UTC 2009

Am 05.10.2009 um 07:00 schrieb Robert Strandh:

> Hello,
>
> Robert Swindells writes:
>>
>> There doesn't seem to be a display-title method for the title-pane
>> class, is this deliberate ?
>
> I can only guess.  The spec says very little about the title pane.  It
> doesn't even mention any :initarg or a slot that can be used to give a
> title.  It does mention the name of the display function, but doesn't
> say anything else about it.  That's probably the reason nobody
> implemented it.
>
>> The examples in the Franz CLIM User Guide imply to me that you should
>> be able to use this pane type without needing to supply a
>> display-function for it.
>
> It should not be very hard to do this.  If you can give me some
> examples of how to use it and what is supposed to happen when the
> title pane is displayed, or better yet, some code, I'll be happy to
> put it in.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Robert Strandh

CLIM:DEFINE-APPLICATION-FRAME allows to specify a :title pane. By
default it displays the frame's pretty name. A pane option is :display-
string string, which defines the string to display. So :display-string
would be an :initarg to the title-pane class.

Generally it is a pane with the title displayed in a large font. No
scroll bars, grows horizontally, height is computed, no display after
command. That's all. It is a relict from older window systems (like
the one on the Lisp Machine), which usually have no title bar - where
the application window then has a separate pane for the title. If your
application's window has a title bar (usually), there is usually no
need to display the title pane in an application window.

Regards,

Rainer Joswig