[mcclim-devel] McCLIM on the Mac

Duncan Rose duncan at robotcat.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 21:25:07 UTC 2007

On Monday, April 30, 2007, at 08:04  pm, C Y wrote:

> IIRC, the last updates on the beagle backend were running into some
> collisions between how McCLIM wanted to work and how the Mac works.
> http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/mcclim-devel/2005-November/004301.html

I don't think these issues are insurmountable; I've not been keeping up
with McCLIM development over the last 18 months (I dunno, start a
little side-project and what happens...), but I did see that Tim made a
couple of changes to Beagle's event processing (it was whilst
investigating some event issues that I got sidetracked). Whether that's
helped any I'm not sure.

> I would suggest the first place to look would be at the OpenMCL
> Objective-C bridge, to make sure that works - if you can, grab a copy
> of OpenMCL that was current when the original work on the Beagle
> backend was done and a tarball release from around then and see if
> those work.  I don't know how much has changed in McCLIM since the last
> Beagle updates and whether it would cause breakage.

IIRC I got a couple of reports that Beagle didn't compile out of the
box on 10.4. I never had a box with 10.4 on it and as far as I know
nobody made any great effort to resolve the issue. OS X and OpenMCL
have moved on quite a lot since then so if anything the bitrot is
probably worse than was reported back then (although I note you're not
using a much newer version of OpenMCL than I was (0.14.3)).

> Beagle is the "right way" to do an McCLIM backend for MacOSX, as I
> understand it - it will give the best "native" appearance and behavior.

I remember having quite a long discussion wrt whether Cocoa or Carbon
was the way to go for a (foreign) native L&F on the Mac; I can't help
feeling that the direction I ended up taking (Cocoa) wasn't necessarily
the best (in terms of making life easier when hooking up to the native
window system, I suspect the low-level nature of Carbon is probably a
win).

>  Cario's website says it has an experimental Quartz backend but I don't
> know if it's ever been tried with McCLIM.
>
> Cheers,
> CY
>

> --- Christian Lynbech <christian at defun.dk> wrote:
>
>> I could use some pointers on the status of McCLIM on the Mac. In
>> particular, I am interested in how to run against the native graphics
>> system rather than having to run the X11 server.
>>
>> I have looked a bit on the beagle backend but I cannot get it to
>> work. A few fixes is needed just to get it to compile. Once that is
>> done, it does compile and load but once an application (such as the
>> calculator demo) is started, the lisp process freezes with output to
>> the effect of:

The calculator demo never used to work very well with Beagle
(irrespective of frame manager). Trying to run anything from demodemo
just caused deadlock in the event processing, so if you're getting that
it's possible you've done as well as the code currently allows :-)

I would say that if you bind CLIM:*DEFAULT-FRAME-MANAGER* to
BEAGLE:BEAGLE-STANDARD-FRAME-MANAGER (see the README.txt file in the
backends/Beagle directory) and you get further, you may be seeing some
side-effects to the problems in the event handling code (although I
don't recall them making themselves apparent via assertion failures, so
I'm not hopeful).

Sorry not to be more helpful...

-Duncan