[mcclim-devel] McCLIM on the Mac

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Mon Apr 30 21:04:23 UTC 2007

Hi,

Quoting Christian Lynbech (christian at defun.dk):
> I have looked a bit on the beagle backend but I cannot get it to
> work. A few fixes is needed just to get it to compile. Once that is
> done, it does compile and load but once an application (such as the
> calculator demo) is started, the lisp process freezes with output to
> the effect of:

can you submit those fixes as a patch?

If Beagle works at all, even just to the extent that it compiles and
loads, I think it would be worth getting it reintegrated into
mcclim.asd, so that anyone who wants to give it a try can do so easily.

IIRC others have reported on IRC that Beagle works for them with a
little hacking, so it must be possible somehow.

> Before diving in I would like to know if the beagle backend is
> considered dead beyond repair (or at least if others than myself has

Well, I do not have a Mac, so my interest in Beagle is just from the
"native backend implementor" point of view.  But I hope nobody would
throw Gtkairo away just because it is a little buggy, and the same
should be true for Beagle.

> any interest in it). Are there alternatives, can the gtkairo or opengl
> backends be brought to fly without X11?

Gtkairo works without X on MS Windows, but I am not aware of anyone
having it tried on MacOS without X.

Starting with GTK+ 2.9 there appears to be a Quartz implementation of
GDK though, so it should be possible:
  http://developer.imendio.com/projects/gtk-macosx

Of course, a full GDK/GTK+ implementation cannot actually offer a native
look and feel on MacOS.  But then, CLIM has its own look and feel issues
anyway, so that might not make much of a difference...

d.