[mcclim-devel] Problems in reading with :timeout

Duncan Rose duncan at robotcat.demon.co.uk
Fri May 6 17:11:49 UTC 2005

On Friday, May 6, 2005, at 12:17 PM, Tomi K Neste wrote:

--->8--- snipped for brevity --->8---

> I'm trying to figure out how to do some simple animation, like a clock
> or process browser that should keep on updating every few seconds. So
> I thought the way to go would be specializing the READ-COMMAND or
> READ-FRAME-COMMAND and use the :timeout where approriate. I also
> thought about using different thread for the pane updating, but I'm
> not sure if that would be a smart thing to do.
> So I'm wondering if there's a canonical way to accomplish something
> like that, some sources perhaps?

Hrm. I wrote a little clock thing quite a while ago and had trouble
with this. The following post includes some code to show a problem I
was having (fixed at the time the mail was sent in actual fact) so it's
fully functional and uses scheduled events to redraw a pane:-

http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/mcclim-devel/2003-October/000438.html

Hopefully this will help you out.

-Duncan