[mcclim-devel] Problems in reading with :timeout

Tomi K Neste tomi.neste at netikka.fi
Fri May 6 11:17:54 UTC 2005

Oops.. accidently sent this to rpgoldman only :-|

Just tried on SBCL with recent McCLIM and :timeout 0 works fine  >0 values
still seem to be blocking forever.
Looks like clim-internals:stream-input-wait keeps continuously calling
clim-internals:event-queue-listen-or-wait
with wrong TIMEOUT. Or maybe not, it's all (still) bit over my head

The :timeout 0 => NIL still seems to a problem on CMUCL, but that's on a
few months old version of McCLIM, so
maybe it's fixed and irrelevant by now anyway. I really should update my
CMUCL stuff on that laptop...

I'm trying to figure out how to do some simple animation, like a clock or
process browser that should keep on updating every few seconds. So I
thought the way to go would be specializing the READ-COMMAND or
READ-FRAME-COMMAND and use the :timeout where approriate. I also thought
about using different thread for the pane updating, but I'm not sure if
that would be a smart thing to do.
So I'm wondering if there's a canonical way to accomplish something like
that, some sources perhaps?

BTW, big thanks to all McCLIM developers, fascinating stuff :-)