[mac-lisp-ide] Moving forward...

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Feb 10 19:23:30 UTC 2004

Gary Byers writes:

 > I understand that people with delicate sensibilities might be offended
 > by the fact that a large part of this still isn't done right and is
 > still a random hodgepodge of internal CCL package stuff.  I don't
 > believe that that concern justifies exporting a lot of randomness;
 > people -should- view this as a moving target (at least until it stops
 > moving as much as it has in the near past and is likely to in the near
 > future.)

That's a pretty good reason for not exporting the symbols.  For others
like myself, reaching for package nirvana, who try to avoid typing ::
when possible, I'd recommend what I did for MCL's Open Transport
library, which doesn't export its symbols from CCL:

  (in-package :mcl-net)

  (require :opentransport)
  (import '(ccl::open-tcp-stream
            ccl::opentransport-tcp-stream
            ccl::opentransport-binary-tcp-stream
            ...))

  (export '(open-tcp-stream
            stream-connection-state
            stream-connectedp
            ...))

Now I just worry about using symbols from my own MCL-NET package.
Plus, you get the benefit of having the chance to clean up the
interface, which is probably even more important for a
work-in-progress like OpenMCL's Objective-C support.