[mac-lisp-ide] status of IDE projects

mikel evins mikel at evins.net
Wed Feb 11 17:00:38 UTC 2004

Progress on the IDE projects:

First, Gary Byers has released a new version of OpenMCL, version
0.14.1. This release has many bugfixes, better behavior with
ANSI-compliance tests, and a major step forward in the Objective C
bridge. On the other hand, it also means that Cocoa-related code,
including Bosco and its derivatives, including both Clotho and the
Cocoa backend for McCLIM, need overhauls to work with the new release.
I intend to perform this overhaul as soon as possible; the current
version of Bosco and its derivatives depend on the features in a range
of CVS snapshots of 0.14, and that's undesirable. I think it's
important to get them moved onto the released version as soon as
possible.

The new features of the Objective C bridge have many positive qualities
(most important being that Objective C classes are now also CLOS
classes), but the new code also introduces a problem for delivery of
binaries: saved images are OSX-version-specific. In other words, if you
build an application on Jaguar then it probably won't run on Panther,
and vice versa. I believe this is a temporary situation, and most
people that are using Bosco and its derivatives are building from
source, but there may be a bit of a muddle if I get around to updating
Alpaca before this issue is resolved in OpenMCL (to my knowledge,
Alpaca is the only Bosco-derived application with users who don't build
from source).

For the moment, the Clotho IDE is unchanged.

I've done some recent work on the build system for the Cocoa backend
for McCLIM, and that work will also go into Clotho shortly. The major
practical effect of the work is that the build process copies the
Darwin interface databases into the built application bundle in a way
that makes the Objective C bridge independent of the Lisp development
system. To explain a little more fully: in old versions of
Bosco-derived applications, you needed a copy of OpenMCL with the
darwin-headers directory if you wanted to use the Objective C bridge
interactively. That meant that, for example, Clotho and Alpaca could
not use the macros and functions of the Objective C bridge unless the
system on which they were deployed also had a copy of OpenMCL, with the
darwin-headers directory where the app expected to find it. The new
build system makes built applications more independent of their build
environments by bundling a copy of the interfaces into the application
itself. That means that you can, for example, expect to copy Clotho
onto a new machine without a pre-existing copy of OpenMCL, and expect
the Objective C bridge to work.

Duncan got the McCLIM listener mostly up and functioning, albeit with
significant cosmetic and autorelease-pool issues, and we're hacking on
it in a privately-shared cvs repository until we get the go-ahead to
commit it to the McCLIM repo. It might be a good idea for us to wait a
bit longer before checking in, though, until I can get the overhaul
done on Bosco and propagate the changes to Clotho and McCLIM.app. That
way the checked-in McCLIM code will be based on a released version of
OpenMCL.

That's it from IDE land. If you're interested in working on either
project (Clotho, the Cocoa-centric Lisp IDE, or McCLIM.app, the Cocoa
backend for McCLIM), please drop me a line and I'll explain how to get
started working on the code.

--me