[lisp-interface-library-devel] Consolidating Common Lisp Libraries

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 10:29:16 UTC 2012

>> I've started a movement to consolidate libraries:
>> http://fare.livejournal.com/169346.html
>>
>> I would like to migrate all data structures to my lisp-interface-library,
>> and subsequently declare previous libraries obsolete.
>> https://github.com/fare/lisp-interface-library/
>>
>> I haven't added sets or arrays to LIL yet, though,
>> so for the moment I'm just probing you as a library author.
>> https://github.com/ks/X.FDATATYPES/
>>
>> Would you agree to the principle of merging libraries?
>>

> Yes, I am ok with obsoleting the library when it's part of a bigger thing,
> and actually getting used for something.

Of course. Excellent!

>> Do you have time to help?
>
> Should have in a near future (couple of weeks) - I could spend a few
> hours per week.
> I lost a contract recently plus I am moving as well, so I have to sort
> that out first.
>
> Is there some general guidance written how to proceed with integration into LIL?

At this point, it's
1- read the lil-ilc2012 article and/or slides.
2- create new interfaces for the new protocols (Jason Aeschliman was
working on that)
3- implement the interfaces, lifting your existing code, into the package PURE.
4- use the automated transform to reexpose wrapped versions of the code
 in POSH, STATEFUL, CLASSY.

For the POSH and CLASSY versions,
I wonder if we should take the (mostly) universal order from FSet
for a default version.
What irks me is that it is NOT actually universal;
but that might still be better than just a number comparison,
especially if we signal a serious condition in the unequal case.

It's better to know nothing that to know what ain't so. — Josh Billings