[lisp-game-dev] cl-opengl mac os x

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 21:01:27 UTC 2010

I use lispbuilder-sdl with cl-opengl, and it works pretty well. Thopter (
http://code.google.com/p/blackthorn-engine/wiki/Thopter) was built this way,
and runs well on Mac as well as Windows and Linux.

I don't think you should really need much a tutorial, since the cl-opengl
API is pretty much a direct mapping to the underlying C API. But the
lispbuilder-sdl documentation does have example code for getting an OpenGL
window set up:

http://code.google.com/p/lispbuilder/wiki/UsingLispbuilderSDL#Using_OpenGL

Hope that helps you get started.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Michael Compton <
michael.compton at littleedge.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Schell,
>
> A lot of people also use some other library to create the window, get
> the opengl context, do user input etc. Of course GLUT is available with
> cl-opengl, but a good alternative is lispbuilder-sdl (getting a 3.x+
> OpenGL is not yet possible as far as I know with the SDL which
> lispbuilder is built upon).
>
> As for advances in cl-opengl itself, not many in terms of programming
> interface, as far as I am aware, though there was updates to allow
> access to recent additions to the OpenGL spec, most notably the 3.x
> changes.
>
> If you have any issues getting stuff to work then certainly post them
> here on the maillist or maybe drop by the IRC channel #lispgames on
> freenode.
>
> This is the only tutorial resource I am aware of...
> http://3bb.cc/tutorials/cl-opengl/index.html
>
> On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 11:23 -0700, Schell Scivally wrote:
> > Hi guys, I'm working on a game for the expo competition. Can anyone
> > tell me the shortest path to opengl on mac os x? All the posts I've
> > found are about 2 years old. Have there been any advances on cl-opengl
> > since then? I should also mention that I'm completely new to lisp in
> > general. This is a trial by fire.

Elliott Slaughter

"Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to predict
the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay