[lisp-game-dev] hello and thoughts on lisp games

Brandon Edens brandon at as220.org
Sat Nov 28 15:39:37 UTC 2009

Hi David...

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 06:03 -0500, David O'Toole wrote:
> Hey out there,
>
> 1. FLGC09 (the Friendly Lisp Games Competition) is going on now.
>    Compo guidelines at:
>
>    http://lispgamesdev.blogspot.com/2009/11/lisp-games-compo.html
>
>    These guidelines are just what I threw together, and are totally open
> to discussion and debate. Comments and criticisms welcome.

Pretty cool. I'm busy learning OpenGL via the Superbible while porting
the exercises to Common Lisp w/ cl-opengl (have to look at lispbuilder
+opengl now).

I didn't know you were formerly part of irrational games / 2k. I just
finished playing Bioshock the other day. That was quite good. Too bad
the PS3 port didn't come out until a year after the game was released.

>    I'd like to use the mailing list to post compo entries and discuss
> each  entry in its own thread. I think this will help keep things
> organized and allow us to maintain a record of the compo.

Feel free... We have 21 members. I just moderated Josh for what I
believe was possibly robot spam in that earlier message this morning?
Josh send me private email if you feel this was in error.

> 2. There are at least four different lisp game engines projects going
> on, which is good for developer choice.
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/lispbuilder/wiki/Community

Need good SDL bindings... I'm going to have to go and pull down
lispbuilder and check it out. I'd installed cl-sdl but didn't get a
chance to touch it yet. Project looked dead when I inspected it
yesterday.

I used pygame for my jukebox user interface but then got bogged down
trying to get python-ogre functioning under Ubuntu. Would've been nice
had that stuff been more put together.
It seems like C++ bindings are always a problem regardless of the
language.

> And besides LISPBUILDER related stuff, there is also UID and Squirl

Got links for UID and Squirl ?

> going on. It would be interesting to try to put together a complete map
> of the lisp gaming community, and hopefully get all of them to join this
> list.

Curious too. We need more batteries (to borrow from Python's parlance).
I'm still working on my cl-rst and cl-yaml implementations. More of an
urge to get them done knowing that others are out and about possibly
needing these things.

> 3. Welcome new members, please introduce yourselves and your projects,
> if any...

I'm alive. Brandon Edens working at http://as220.org/ in Providence
RI...

Brandon