[lisp-game-dev] [FLGC09] Starting entry

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 12:28:14 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I intend to start my competition entry on Monday. The game idea is a
scrolling shooter game reminiscent of Raptor [1], an old DOS game.

The game is be implemented in Common Lisp, based on my Blackthorn game
engine [2]. Blackthorn itself uses Lispbuilder and CL-OpenGL for graphics.
The engine is currently pre-alpha quality, but should be sufficient for a
basic game. At any rate, if I spend some time fixing engine rather than game
related issues, I believe the time will be well spent.

The game is intended to run on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. (Basically, any
PC platform that supports SDL.) I am also interested in getting the game to
run on some sort of a mobile platform, but suspect I won't have time to look
into that in only a week. Currently my best lead is ECL on the iPhone, but I
haven't gotten the last known working build to compile on my system yet.

I look forward to sending out further updates as development progresses.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor:_Call_of_the_Shadows
[2] http://code.google.com/p/blackthorn-engine/

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to predict
the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay