[fomus-devel] Re: :staff

dpsenick at uiuc.edu dpsenick at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 20 09:06:04 UTC 2007

Rob,

The lisp documentation won't be helpful at all unless you work with lisp--lisp
has a built in function "describe" that calls up brief documentation strings for
functions if they exist

You can force the staff using a :STAFF mark (like this:  (:staff 1)   or   (:staff 2)
--you should also be able to specify a choice  (:staff 1 2)   (:staff 2 3)   (maybe
useful for notating a piano part onto 3 staves, etc..)  Soon it'll get easier as I put
some of these things into parts and instruments--right now you have to stick it
in every note or put  (:startstaff- 1) in the very first note

I'll put more examples up soon (plus organize the ones that are there now)  The
examples pages will soon evolve into an indexed list with keywords (click on
"staves" and see three or four examples of how to control staves, etc..)

Since I'm (slowly) getting in the last of the main feature I originally wanted to
put in, I'd be curious to know what I should start improving in general (besides
documentation)...  Here is my list in more or less order of priority:

Finishing up:
Polymeters (I'm getting to this now...)
"Chunks" (should be working now--can use them to output different sections of
the score with completely different settings)

Improvements:
tuplets (finding, notating correctly, etc.)
speed (large orchestra-size score still can take a while, especially if the notation
is complex--I've thought of porting the whole program but I don't think it's
worth the effort)

Additions:
FOMUS as a Finale plugin (as an alternative to XML importing)
GUI interface showing updated score samples
structures such as "chord," "sequence" or other similar structures that will make
it easier to specify information more efficiently

-David