[fetter-devel] belated mentoring

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Sep 13 17:15:23 UTC 2005

Just noticed foreign-alloc (while looking for foreign-allocate <g>),
which reminds me of Tilton's Law of Abbreviation: Only abbreviate names
(a) longer than six characters (b) where a reasonable abbreviation saves
more than half the characters. Exceptions are made where a well-known
abbreviation exists, such as serial-no instead of serial-number (number
having only six characters).

The nice thing about a strict abbreviations rule is the elimination of
coding anxiety / guesswork / aproposing.

--
Kenny

Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."
    Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey", 1950