[fetter-devel] verrazano-support requirement

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon Sep 12 21:09:15 UTC 2005

Two thoughts re the verrazano-support package:

minor: the openal-library generated by vzn requires verrrazano-support
(it tries to load it), but the bindings per se do not. A small nicety
would be to avoid an unnecessary dependency. But this goes away if...

how about moving vzn support code into CFFI? Maybe we establish a rule
of thumb: anything required at runtime goes in CFFI, and VZN is not
needed at runtime (including any "support" package).

I know vzn wants to support multiple backends, but multiple Lisp
universal FFI backends? Why? UFFI is known to need an update, but an
update never comes and CFFI is probably the last straw for UFFI.

Hang on: is a better alternative to write the VZN-support code directly
into the bindings file? Perhaps as an option the defbinding?

I would just like to see xxx-library.lisp work as a standalone set of
bindings, either by adding to it or by requiring certain code of any
candidate backend.

Thoughts?

--
Kenny

Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."
    Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey", 1950