[fetter-devel] Big huge OpenGL-library on win32

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 8 06:54:28 UTC 2005

Rayiner Hashem wrote:

> Ouch. Well, I suppose it's good news that it parsed windows.h without
> crashing :-/
> You're right, the correct solution is to use GCC-XML's source file
> definition tag to
> supress certain definitions. The tricky part is defining bindings that
> refer to stuff in those
> headers without pulling in all of those headers. Come to think of it,
> it shouldn't be too hard.
> VNZ first generates a queue of definitions, then goes through the
> queue and outputs each one.
> To create this queue, it walks the tree starting at the root. Instead,
> I could attach to each
> node a tag saying in what file it was defined, then collect all the
> tags referring to the headers
> in which we're interested, and use those as the roots of the walk

I'll be honest, i have not bothered to understand your algorithm or data
structures. You seemed to have things in control so I guessed they were
fine. That said, fer sher, start only from symbols from headers of
interest. Like a mark and sweep GC. Anything you do not reach does not
need a binding.

> . Incidentally, how long did
> it take to generate the bindings?

I do not know, I fell asleep in my chair waiting. I am not kidding. :)
So we definitely need to do something.

> If it was too long to be comfortable (with such a huge IR), it
> might be worth it to prune definitions at an earlier stage, before the
> simplification passes.

> I'm just finishing up support for exporting all definitions. I'll do
> this modification sometime tomorrow.

Great. I was not looking forward to coding all the needed exports for
OpenGL. I could not believe how many I need from a small API like
OpenAL, never mind my simple demo.

--
Kenny

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."
    Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey", 1950