[elephant-devel] How do I populate an index of a slot that wascreated later with values created before slot became indexed?

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Mon May 9 19:24:40 UTC 2011

Alex,

This may be overkill, but the metaclass system and related support code would probably benefit from a clean, rethought architecture and possible rewrite of the indexing + schemas + database evolution code.  Features were added incrementally over the years in response to specific needs and problems and older code was not always fully integrated with newer features (like schemas, which should have come first but actually were the last major feature added).  Moreover, there are a few contracts that are implicit in the code that really should be explicit (e.g. the state of a serialized 'chunk' on disk relative to the current schema, what the 'current' schema is and how it is established, the evolution of the state of an index, etc).

Up to you, but I can probably take some time out to review any proposals in early-to-mid June and again in late July.

Ian