[elephant-devel] CLSQL Store

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Tue Jan 27 04:00:25 UTC 2009

Well, this is advice is just about worth the bandwidth used to
download it...

Elephant and Lisp are widely available open source platforms, just
like Python.  If you are running an application on top of that
platform, such as a networked service, I'm fairly certain you are as
in the clear with Lisp as with Python.  So this implies you can look
at commercial models that use Python+BDB or Ruby+BDB and use that as a
guiding precedent.

Think about the spirit of the business model the license is intended
to support.  This is invaluable in guiding your interpretation.  If
you are selling software that requires that someone else download the
platform and use it, your financial success now depends on someone
duplicating and running a parallel instance of BDB.  This strikes me
as a value for which the developers of BDB should be compensated.  My
guess is that the difference between ("buy my scripts" and download
Elephant vs. "here is a shrink wrapped solution") is academic and
these are identical in the eyes of any reasonable business model.

However it is difficult to make this model work in the case of web
servers or persistent object systems.  How do you charge for a small
number of instances of BDB running a large web service?  It isn't
worth charging a 'per-instance' fee and it's very hard to value or
charge for some 'volume of use'.  I've seen other embedded software
vendors try to charge for value and it rarely works, so better to
focus on the businesses where $ is tied to volume.

Cheers,
Ian

PS - A lawyer is the only person who can competently, and legally,
give you an opinion as to whether your use does or does not fall under
the license terms and thus whether you will or will not ever get sued.

On Jan 26, 2009, at 9:08 PM, <alain.picard at accenture.com> <alain.picard at accenture.com