[elephant-devel] CLSQL Store

alain.picard at accenture.com alain.picard at accenture.com
Tue Jan 27 05:02:02 UTC 2009

Duly noted.

> Elephant and Lisp are widely available open source platforms,
> just like Python.  If you are running an application on top
> of that platform, such as a networked service, I'm fairly
> certain you are as in the clear with Lisp as with Python.  So
> this implies you can look at commercial models that use
> Python+BDB or Ruby+BDB and use that as a guiding precedent.

Okay.  And such precedent exists --- i.e. there are, today,
several web businesses using python or ruby with BDB as a back end
using it's open source license?  That would be an interesting data
point.

> PS - A lawyer is the only person who can competently, and
> legally, give you an opinion as to whether your use does or
> does not fall under the license terms and thus whether you
> will or will not ever get sued.

Absolutely.  And I can tell you that they'll NEVER guarantee
that you won't get sued --- I've spoken to quite a few lawyers
in my time. :-)  I've been told "you can be sued at any time
by anyone for anything.  Doesn't mean they'll win, of course."

That's why knowing the intent of the license holder is so critical.

Thanks for your help, Ian!