[elephant-devel] Elephant on Windows/SBCL?

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Sun Sep 14 13:54:00 UTC 2008

>> My project is actually a video game where I am trying to use
>> persistence in the physical simulation. I don't know if Elephant is
>> actually fast enough to be used for this, but I have had some success
>> with ACache, so I'd like to try :-)
>
> I haven't had a chance to try ACache but I suppose Elephant with BDB
> should be on par. Ian might know more about that.
>
>  Leslie

I haven't done a performance comparison of the two systems.  I suspect
that Acache is probably faster at least for certain tasks.  Disk and
memory layout as well as the transaction architecture have large
impacts on what works well and doesn't and they've optimized for
certain operations (such as ops over RDF triples).  Also it's tightly
integrated into the Allegro lisp/compiler/IO layer, doesn't have
multiple backends so suffers from less indirection, etc.

It would be interesting to get some data if you have it; I'd like to
do a lisp-only version of Elephant someday and ACache is close enough
that it might make sense to borrow from the architecture to get some
of the same performance that they've managed to produce.

Cheers,