[elephant-devel] Elephant on Windows/SBCL?

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 05:10:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 2:00 AM, Leslie P. Polzer
<sky at viridian-project.de>wrote:

> > UFFI seems to load fine under SBCL/win32, although the test suite
> > fails at compiling gethostname.lisp. (I'm not sure if that is
> > significant or not... it looks like the tests also fail under
> > Allegro/win32, although not in the same way.)
>
> Not sure whether win32 has got gethostname at all, I believe
> it's a UNIX thing (unistd.h).
>
> So that's probably no indicator for certain doom. :)

Ok, here's my first attempt at hacking Elephant to work with SBCL/win32.
(I'm hoping UFFI with SBCL/win32 will just work... I'll try the CFFI
alternatives otherwise.)
First, I tried using the code from
http://brainrack.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/running-sbcl-on-windows/ to deal
with not having sb-posix:chdir available.

For some reason this resulted in failing to compile libmemutil.c (even
though my-config.sexpr contains "(:prebuilt-libraries . t)" which should
prevent even attempting to compile the file). Then I noticed all the Windows
conditionals were of the form #+(or mswindows windows), which needed to be
changed to #+(or mswindows windows win32) to work under SBCL/win32.

These changes seem to allow compiling and loading elephant.asd (albeit with
4 warnings, 11 style warnings and 501 notes). I even managed to (open-store
'(:bdb "/path/to/some/db/")) and do some basic operations, again with many
warnings.

This probably isn't anywhere near stable, but at least it looks like it
could be made to work.

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere." - Frank
Herbert