[elephant-devel] Quick hack for lisp backend.

Henrik Hjelte henrik at evahjelte.com
Fri May 16 10:54:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Glenn Tarcea <gtarcea at umich.edu> wrote:

> I had never looked at Rucksack before. The code is very well structured
> indeed!
>
> A couple of thoughts:
>
> 1. Could the Rucksack B-Tree code be separated out, abstracted a little and
> put in a separate project (eg, a cl-btree, or ldb for example)? This would
> allow other lisp projects that are also looking for a native B-Tree backend
> to make use of it. And all those projects would benefit from the work done.

I have a lot of experience with the rucksack b-tree code. It is great
code, but once you want to start using it you will want full control
of the file. I don't think a separate project will be fruitful.
Copy/Paste or Kill/Yank is probably better IMO.

> 2. It appears that Rucksack is still be developed. Could the author(s) be
> contacted and see if they are interested in creating a universal lisp
> backend that could be shared between Elephant and Rucksack (more rows in the
> water so to speak)?

Previously Arthur Lemmens said he wanted to minimize dependencies. But
you never know.

> 3. I think that if the Rucksack B-Tree can be used in some way its the
> fastest way to get the project off the ground and get some momentum behind
> it.

Yes, It will be a fast and good start. There are testcases to copy as well.

/Henrik Hjelte