[elephant-devel] 0.60 tarball missing

Erik Garrison erik.garrison at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 04:46:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 09:55:05PM -0500, Robert L. Read wrote:
> I still insist that we use either Darcs or subversion.  I think Darcs
> may be better, but
> subversion is much more standard.
>
> A primary concern must be the each with which the average user,
> including the
> non-LISP expert, can extract our work.
>
> We are not so large a project that we have to optimize our use of the
> source
> control system; we should instead optimize the availability to users.
>
> In fact subversion is promptly better based on that argument.

I've used darcs in another project and found it fantastic and generally
straightforward.

In terms of "trouble to the end user" darcs fares quite well.  A linux
user simply installs darcs via a package system, and then issues "darcs
get http://www.whatever.org/repo" to grab a repository.

Recording and sending patches is relatively simple as well.  Because of
the interactive nature of recording and sharing patches, a five-sentence
tutorial should suffice to get the new user up and running.

-Erik