[elephant-devel] 0.60 tarball missing

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Fri Mar 30 01:58:34 UTC 2007

I have no idea where this error is coming from.  From your earlier e-
mail I'm assuming that you are running the tarball version of
elephant-0.6.0.  It sounds like you may be trying to call asdf on ele-
acache.  Acache is an allegro common lisp only backend and it is only
partially implemented anyway.  (We probably should have removed the
ele-acache.asd from the tarball, it's in contrib now and won't be
part of the release).

The proper thing to do is call asdf on ele-bdb (if using Berkeley DB)
or ele-clsql (if using a SQL backend).  There should be some good
directions in the INSTALL file.

If that doesn't fix it, please give us more information about the
context in which you got this error.  Elephant 0.6.0 and the current
CVS both have been fairly extensively tested on SBCL so any problems
are likely configuration errors.

Moreover, if you are not in a terrible rush, you probably want to
wait for the 0.6.1 release that is forthcoming.  We're just putting
finishing touches on now, but other than some build issues in
Windows, OpenMCL verification and a ton of new documentation, it's
done.  You can get started with the latest CVS and the formal 0.6.1
release will be available via asdf-install in a couple of weeks.

asdf-install doesn't solve all the problems when you have external
dependencies like a database, however.  You'll still have to do some
work to get it running although that should be easier now.

While Elephant may eventually have a model where it needs no external
C libraries or outside databases, but that day may be a long time
coming.

Ian

PS - I'll be doing a rash of checkins over the next week, but almost
all of them are to clean up documentation strings so the manual reads
more easily, etc.