[elephant-devel] Re: Problems create sleepycat.fasl

Malini Bhandaru malinibhandaru at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 15:33:29 UTC 2006

pinterface

Thou are correct!

It had to do with threads and the *inferior-lisp* message was just as you predicted. I have to dig some more .. but in my environment sbcl is threaded and elephant::*sleepycat-pthreads-path* points to /lib/tls/libpthread.so .. when I commented out  that section of code in sleepycat.lisp .. everything compiled till the end and I could put a value in the db and retrieve. I'll investigate some more and see how to work around this conflict.

Thank you so much!
regards,
malini

pinterface <pinterface at gmail.com> wrote: (Sorry if this reply appears out of thread. Ran into some difficulties with
gmane, so I'm posting to the list directly.)

"Malini Bhandaru"
wrote in message news:20061004032330.58937.qmail at web52412.mail.yahoo.com...
> Hello Ian and Others,
>
> I removed the /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.4 and installed 4.3.
> Untarred freshly elephant0.6.0, added symbolic links for .asd files
> in .sbcl/systems but my woes continue.

> my lisp seems to hang after
> ; compiling (DEFVAR *ERRNO-BUFFER* ...)
> ; compiling (DEFMACRO WRAP-ERRNO ...)
> ; compiling (DEFMACRO FLAGS ...)

This reminds me of a problem I had[1]. Actually, I think it's the same
problem, because if memory serves compiles hung at the same point for me. If
you're using emacs+slime, check the *inferior-lisp* buffer; if you've been
thrown into SBCL's LDB debugger, and I suspect you have, that's where it'll
be.

You wouldn't happen to be using a threaded SBCL (:sb-thread in *features*),
would you? sb-threads and libpthread.so don't play well together for me, and
I'm guessing they aren't playing nicely for you, either. I think Ian was
going to look into the cause of that, but I don't know if he's had a chance
yet.

The two options I can think of are:
1. Switch to an unthreaded SBCL
2. Disable loading of libpthreads in src/db-bdb/sleepycat.lisp

Both have worked for me (cvs elephant and BDB4.4), but I have yet to do
anything particularly taxing with elephant, so maybe it'll blow up later.

-pinterface

[1]
http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/elephant-devel/2006-September/000527.html
    Though for some reason I provided almost no useful information to
    hunting down the cause. Whoops.

elephant-devel site list
elephant-devel at common-lisp.net