[elephant-devel] trouble getting going (with open-store, ...)

Red Daly reddaly at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 08:23:12 UTC 2006

I have been trying to get Elephant up and running for a few days with
little luck.  I have tried CMUCL and SBCL, with different unsuccessful
outcomes.  During my latest attempt on SBCL, I seem to be able to call
the following two lines without errors:
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :elephant)
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :ele-bdb)

I then run the tests...
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :elephant-tests)
(in-package :ele-tests)
(setf *default-spec* "bdb")
(do-backend-tests)

do-backend-tests returns NIL.. which I interpret to be success?

however, I am unable to open a store according to the instructions in
the two tutorials on the common-lisp.net project site.  Here is an
example attempt:

* (open-store "store")

debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR in thread
#<THREAD "initial thread" {A7B93E1}>:
  The assertion (CONSP ELEPHANT::SPEC) failed.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [CONTINUE] Retry assertion.
  1: [ABORT   ] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(SB-KERNEL:ASSERT-ERROR (CONSP ELEPHANT::SPEC) NIL NIL)
0] backtrace

0: (SB-KERNEL:ASSERT-ERROR (CONSP ELEPHANT::SPEC) NIL NIL)
1: (OPEN-STORE "store" :RECOVER NIL :RECOVER-FATAL NIL :THREAD T)
2: (SB-INT:EVAL-IN-LEXENV (OPEN-STORE "store") #<NULL-LEXENV>)
3: (SB-EXT:INTERACTIVE-EVAL (OPEN-STORE "store"))
4: (SB-IMPL::REPL-FUN NIL)
5: ((LAMBDA ()))
6: ((LAMBDA ()))
7: (SB-IMPL::%WITH-REBOUND-IO-SYNTAX #<CLOSURE (LAMBDA #) {A7F28FD}>)
8: (SB-IMPL::TOPLEVEL-REPL NIL)
9: (SB-IMPL::TOPLEVEL-INIT)
10: ((LABELS SB-IMPL::RESTART-LISP))

I would appreciate any help in getting elephant up and running.  I am
running SBCL 0.9.8, ubuntu dapper, and bdb 4.3 (apt-installable
version).  I will gladly supply more information to help determine the
error of my ways.  I can't wait to try out elephant!

Thanks sincerely,
red daly