[Ecls-list] Further integration between quicklisp and ECL

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 18:13:28 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> wrote:

> I can appreciate the desire for Lisp systems to have some form of
> Quicklisp integration, but I am reluctant to see divergence of
> instructions like this. I really like that the instructions for everyone
> are the same, instead of "On ECL, use (require :ecl-quicklisp),
> otherwise on XYCL, use (require :xy-quicklisp), otherwise download and
> load this file..." Same with instructions for loading things. "If you're
> on ECL, use REQUIRE, otherwise use QL:QUICKLOAD, otherwise..."

Your instructions really do not change, they continue to work so what is
the problem?

On the other hand, when I have to test ECL on 8 different platforms and on
all of them from scratch (testing is done on a clean slate) I really find
it convenient to have one module that does everything for me in one step.

In short: it is not compulsory, it allows me to plug in customizations such
as enforcing monolithic libraries, it also allows to plug in additional
steps that quicklisp need not consider, such as replacing the bytecodes
compiler with the C compiler.