[Ecls-list] Further integration between quicklisp and ECL

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Sun Jul 22 18:08:22 UTC 2012

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com> writes:

> As you may recall, ECL now ships a module :ecl-quicklisp that installs and
> loads quicklisp. I made several changes to it:
>
> * If quicklisp has already been loaded, ECL will not reload it.
>
> * (require :ecl-quicklisp) installs quicklisp on different locations depending
> on the port. For Windows, the destination is the directory where ECL is
> installed. For all other platforms, quicklisp will be installed in its default
> location at the home directory.
>
> * When (require :ecl-quicklisp) succeeds, REQUIRE starts understanding
> quicklisp packages. Thus, the following works
>
> (require :ecl-quicklisp)
> (require :cl-ppcre)
>
> Hope this will be as useful to you as it is to me right now.

I can appreciate the desire for Lisp systems to have some form of
Quicklisp integration, but I am reluctant to see divergence of
instructions like this. I really like that the instructions for everyone
are the same, instead of "On ECL, use (require :ecl-quicklisp),
otherwise on XYCL, use (require :xy-quicklisp), otherwise download and
load this file..." Same with instructions for loading things. "If you're
on ECL, use REQUIRE, otherwise use QL:QUICKLOAD, otherwise..."

Zach